Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Larian Gegar Neon 2014

Just got done with my first Residential College project here in UM. It's a running event called Larian Gegar. This year's theme is Neon because it's the first night run that we organized.



We had to be interviewed to be part of the crew for this event. And I must admit I chose the Registration Department because I thought that would be the easiest to do. What can be so hard right? Just tick names only mah... 

Manatau...after I got this department, and also got the post as Head of Department, only I knew how tough this department's work actually is. I also had tons of things to learn because I have never ever joined a running event before. Back then I don't even know that there's such thing as "Race Kit Collection" what more know what I'm supposed to do.


I think the hardest part of the job for me is tallying all the proof of payments of the participants. That was really quite tedious work because we had close to 2000 participants. Had to go through 300 emails, sat in front of my laptop for 6 hours just categorizing and labeling all of that also still can't get the job finished. 

In addition to that job, there were a lot of other things to do like pack the race kits, handle all 4 of the race kit collection days, have to reply emails from participants, tally number of participants based on categories and t-shirt sizes, handle crew's t-shirts...and others also.


Then almost every day will receive message from our director asking about updates or giving me tasks to do or updating about participants information. It got to the point where when I hear the sound of my phone's whatsapp ringtone or the FB message pop-up tone I also scared to look at my phone because confirm will see our director's face there. haha xD


But thankfully I had 2 committed team members along with me in our department and we managed to get the job done within every deadline that was set.

Unglam photo 1
And I also had to deal with a lot of assignments and presentations during the same period of time. Was quite stressful ah. Really got a taste of what university life is.


During the event day itself, I was at the venue from 10 in the morning and went back around 12 midnight after the event ended. 

At first everything was pretty ok, until it started raining just 15 minutes after our event started at 8pm. And it wasn't even slight rain or just a bit drizzling, it was seriously pouring rain. Don't even have any warning signs at all! I remembered I felt 2 big drops of rain then suddenly started raining heavily already. I didn't even bring umbrella because I thought won't be so lucky wan la rain during our event, at most rain before the event only. Again, I was very wong -.-

First male runner to complete 10km run


My job during the event was to stay at the finish line and record the Top 10 runners for the 10km Male Category.

I really admire the fact that majority of the participants still continued running despite the heavy rain. I thought most of them will stop and wait till the rain stops before continuing or just stop running altogether, but almost all of them continued! Very touching leh actually, so we (the crew) also stand in the rain and wait for them to come back while cheering on for them and congratulating them when they arrived.

Unglam photo 2
After math of standing in the rain for 2 hours: very messy hair, very wet clothes, and extremely wet shoes.


Oh yeah, I also enjoyed the flash mob very much! It was so nice! They really put in a lot of effort and still danced despite the rain. Too bad don't have any photos or videos to show, but seriously two big thumbs up for the flash mob! 




Then after the event which was when the rain finally stopped -.-  we celebrated Mike's 20th birthday! Glad that our plan worked because we kept trying to find ways to celebrate his birthday when we (including the birthday boy himself) were all so busy.

Unglam photo 3
At the end of the day, I'm really glad to be a part of this event because I learnt SO MUCH from it, and of course the best thing (besides getting a lot of positive feedback from the participants) was...





 Being able to work with this bunch of amazing people <3



Congrats to our founder, our director, the crew, volunteers, participants and basically anyone that was part of this event. Looking forward to be a part of the next one ^^




Find me on:  Instagram  l  Twitter  l  Dayre  l Bloglovin  l  Imotiv  



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a successful organisation. The heavy rain was to my advantage to bring home a mini hamper of (junk food?) 8th/10 Uncle Category - not a healthy gift la

    ReplyDelete