Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Things I learned when working

I cannot believe it's August already seriously. It feels like I always say this every start of the new month, but time really passes by SO fast.

I have been working since December till now. In between, I changed 3 jobs and also took a mini break and went for a holiday. Reason why I changed 3 jobs is because I had to quit my first one so that I can concentrate on my STPM retakes (which was a total waste of time and money), quit my second job because it was horrible (long hours and low pay, the boss even cheated my salary wth), then now I just resigned from my 3rd job because I want to have a break before heading off to uni. Really stepped out of so many comfort zones (Literally. Managed to stand for 11 hours during the Vivo Grand Opening event) these few months of working and it opened my eyes to a lot of things.


Things I learned when working:
  • Swallow your opinions and only voice them out when really needed.
    Being in the lower ranks of the job, sometimes you just have to shut up and do what you are told to do even if you don't understand or agree with that matter. However, it is also crucial to take certain stands when necessary. Voicing out opinions is scary (especially to bosses or superiors), but if you do it right, you'll be surprised that people do actually listen and take note of it. But if you keep complaining on small matters, then when you really need to have a say on something big, nobody will listen to you anymore because people are sick and tired of you already.

  • Don't be calculative.
    NOBODY likes to work with calculative people okay. Do a bit more work, then mumble behind other people's backs. Do a bit more work then want more credit than others. Can faint ah working with these type of people. Maybe nobody will mind you for the first few times, but after that, nobody will like you anymore.
  • The rainbow always comes after the storm.
    At one point I really felt that I cannot continue working on that job any longer because I was so unhappy with all the circumstances. Kept going back and forth on whether I should hold on or not, and I am so glad that I did. Because later on, everything turned out ok, and I was happier after that. Sometimes things may look really bad at some point, but if it's not something that is totally unbearable, just bear with it for a little while longer, and it might turn out better. Even if it doesn't, you'll come out stronger anyways. Overcoming that hard period of time gave me such a great sense of achievement and most importantly, I left my job happily with a smile on my face instead of a frown.

  • Appreciate good bosses and colleagues
    Cannot emphasize more on how important it is to never ever take your awesome bossses/colleagues for granted. Horrible colleagues are hard to deal with, horrible bosses are worst. I cannot be grateful enough that in this 3rd job I have met some of the nicest colleagues and bosses ever. Seriously.
    These were the ones that really care about me and stuck with me through the ups and downs.



    These were the ones who made me feel comfortable during my first few days at work and always make me feel welcome into their shop. (If anytime you all go to DP to buy a phone or any phone accessories, find them kay, they are really good people :D)


    Then these are the ones that made me feel right at home after joining them and really made me laugh until my stomach hurt with all their craziness. These people wanted to have a farewell for me during my last day of work but they know I cannot drive back home alone late at night. So after our makan and sing k session, they (yes, all of them) fetched me home. As in, we all sat in one car, and they got me home at 2am. Then when they went back it was raining heavily and have to kena rain some more T_T Felt so guilty but they told me don't need to feel paiseh, because we are brothers and sisters. T_T Why you all so love??

    Not forgetting our boss (the one with the cap) also who belanja us all and really took care of us very well when we worked there. 谢谢你啊老大~
  • Nothing is perfect
    I think this is by far the most important thing I learned. No job, no company is 100% flawless. There is bound to be something that you're not pleased with. I just concentrated more on the good things most of the time and tried to ignore the imperfections if they are not a huge deal. I feel that this makes life so much easier this way.

Really went through a lot these few months, a lot of ups and downs but I regret nothing. If anything, it has helped me grow a lot. Definitely a very good experience for me :D


Find me on:  Instagram  l  Twitter  l  Dayre  l Bloglovin  l  Imotiv  



2 comments:

  1. Man, the first few points made work life sound like a scary reality world !! TT" but the ending ones all sound so warm and sweet~ what job positions did you work as? I'm working as a piano teacher right now and I find job pretty easy going.. but we did have a great boss, great co-workers and decent students! :") good luck in uni! X

    Chic Nikkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's not that scary, just that there's a lot of things to learn and experience at first because everything is new. Way different than studying. I worked as a customer care officer and promoter :) haha I think great bosses and colleagues makes SO much difference in the work place, so it's awesome that you have them :DD Thank you very much Nicole! All the best in your job as well.

      Delete