Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Working life - My first office job




Haven't updated in a while because I've been busy making decisions and quitting my job and preparing stuff for my retakes...etc. It has been hectic.


But now, I have a bit of spare time, so I would like to blog about my job. Or rather, my previous job, since I already resigned.


I was working in a Singaporean telecommunications company branch here in Melaka. Go figure which one if you're interested, it's not that hard. If you don't know what a telecommunication company is, it's kind of like our Maxis, Digi, and Celcom here.


It was my first time working in a big company and even though I was there for only close to 3 months, I learned many things like:

  1. Work ethics
    Being punctual, wearing proper office wear, how to speak to superiors, how to behave in meetings and interviews...etc
  2. Data Entry
    This was my job. Keying in data into computers. Basically I was just in front of the computer 8 and a half hours a day. Sounds easy. I thought it was too. Turns out, it wasn't as simple as I thought it would be. But it was alright.
  3. Procedures
    Taking MC
    I regret all the times I took school for granted. Being sick while at school, all you have to do is write a letter and give it the next day or get a MC or maybe even don't bother, just don't show up. But I can't do all that when I was working. I had to go to panel clinics, get the right forms, get my MC, call in sick, get my receipt so that I can claim from the company...and it doesn't really help that all of the listed clinics are not the ones I usually go to nor near my house. I am not complaining, I just never knew there were so many procedures involved.

    Changing shifts/ working days with another colleague
    Previously I worked in a boutique at a shopping mall. If we wanted to change shifts between colleagues, all we had to do was change around ourselves. But working here was different. Forms to be filled, permissions to be asked, approvals to be confirmed...

    Applying leave
    Same as the above. Many steps have to be taken.
It was a whole new experience for me. I am glad that I got the opportunity to be in this job, even if its just for a while. Also, am thankful for nice colleagues. They really helped me willingly and never showed any sign of annoyance (even though they must have been pretty annoyed) when I had to keep running to them for help. Hehe. 

I had 2 goals when I got this job. One was to get a phone, another was to go travelling with the money I earned. And I already have enough money to fulfill one goal! Which is to get a new phone :D Quite surprising actually, I never thought I could have saved up so much in such a short time. Very happy about it.

Personally, I quite enjoyed working there. It was a nice environment to work in, good pay, only working 5 days a week, and I was lucky enough to meet really nice people. I always thought I would be working there till the end of my 6 months contract, but sometimes, life doesn't go the way we planned it to be. But I believe that God's plans are better than ours. So I shall wait and see :) Till then.



Find me on:  Instagram  l  Twitter  l  Dayre  l Bloglovin  l  Imotiv  l  Lookbook  l  WhatIWear  


2 comments:

  1. Really a nice post babe!! Feel so ashamed that I still didn't get any internship at the moment and it is also because those procedures to apply a job seems complicated. If I seriously wanna apply a job in Melaka should find you!!! =D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you so much! :)) No worries, I'm sure you will be able to find a suitable one :D I'll be glad to help you in any way I can :)

      Delete